Pub Social: White Hart, Gable Cross, Swindon, SN3 4JD
Oxford Section – Pub Social
While many pubs in the area have roots in Swindon’s railway history, Stratton St Margaret’s original White Hart owned its existence to the Wilts and Berks Canal which ran nearby.
Coal merchant William Seymour was the owner by 1841 and his family kept it for many years. In those days The White Hart stood on the other side of the current Oxford Road and sold beer produced in the brewhouse on the opposite side of the road.
Brewing naturally ceased when Arkell’s bought the freehold of the pub (and an adjoining orchard) in 1878 for the princely sum of £925. The original building remained in use for another 59 years before it was demolished to make way for another pub with the same name.
Completed in 1938, the current pub is a much larger building than its predecessor and even after an extension in 1982 as part of a large modernisation, there was still room for a large car park and a small play area – now our major new accommodation block built in 2015.
The main road and A419 which passes close to the White Hart means that passing motorists find it just as convenient to drop in to The White Hart today as Stratton folk have throughout the last century and a half.